Veterans Day is Saturday, November 11. Join us in taking time to reflect on and honor those who serve, have served, or who have made the ultimate sacrifice to our country.
Eastern CT is home to Naval Submarine Base New London, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, an Army recruiting center, and facilities for the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. In addition to all who directly serve at these facilities, thousands more are employed to help with support and logistics. Military personnel and their families are a very big, important part of the fabric of our region.
That’s why our members see it as a privilege to honor the military community. For example:
- High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, recipient of the Chamber’s 2017 Military Community Support Award, offers equine therapy programs for veterans and for families of veterans
- Mohegan Sun’s annual “Vets Rock” event features entertainment, an expo, and a career fair for veterans
- Foxwoods Resort Casino places special emphasis on hiring military veterans
- Guardians of the Purple Heart specialize in providing veteran-related services, including an annual motorcycle run, in addition to raising awareness for combat-wounded veterans and veteran suicide
- Veterans Count Connecticut, an affiliate of Oak Hill, adheres to the mantra that “We are not shovel ready, we are veteran ready.” They provide special services and programs at the community level
- Dribble Babies Children’s Clothing, a veteran-owned business, offers unique brands and locally-made children’s clothes
- Many Chamber of Commerce of Eastern CT member businesses offer military discounts for active-duty personnel, veterans, and their families
- The Chamber’s Military Affairs Council recognizes a Service Person of the Month every month, in addition to coordinating the annual Military Appreciation Breakfast
- Businesses that go above and beyond in serving the military community are honored at the annual Military Appreciation Breakfast with the Military Community Support Award.
- Recent recipients include: GEICO & the Mohegan Tribe/Mohegan Sun (2016), Mike’s Famous Harley-Davidson and the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe/Foxwoods Resort Casino (2015), Navy Federal Credit Union (2014), Fields of Fire & Country Glen Apartments (2013), Black Hawk II Party Fishing Boat (2012), and MJ Sullivan Automotive Corner & Harp and Dragon (2012).
Eastern CT loves our military community!